Sunday, May 28, 2017

Ellyonna Glenn: "Dear Naomi Kritzer: It's Not All About Romance"




Dear Naomi Kritzer: It’s Not All About Romance
By Ellyonna Glenn

One day whilst scrolling through Buzzfeed (a.k.a. the mecca of procrastination) at my usual 12:20 p.m. I found this gem:

While all of what Adam Tots points out in his comic is hilarious, the section about the two white dudes being in love with the extremely plain, but gorgeous protagonist left me cackling on the floor - because it was true! True to not only dystopian, but many other forms of Science Fiction/Fantasy (SFF) fiction. What makes a lot of humor good is its elements of truth, and, more often than not, in popular YA SFF novels you’ll find some facet of romance. Don’t get me wrong, something can be said for having the right “ship,” as fangirls call it, between two characters to flock readers to your book. The thing is, all too often I see authors fall into utilizing predictable, formulaic devices to create their character’s relationships.
For example, what do Twilight, The Infernal Devices, The Hunger Games, Throne of Glass, and Matched all have in common, other than all being SFF and YA? *Ding, ding, ding* They all have the classic love triangle! It’s become so prevalent that when I pick up a sparkly new YA novel at the bookstore I’m shocked if it doesn’t contain the angst-filled trio. On top of that ( looking at you, The Infernal Devices) they frequently have the “love at first sight” aspect that tags along with the love triangle.
These methods were once dramatic and great for the screen, but has come to the point where it no longer feels believable or realistic. The love triangle has slowly evolved into a cheap baiting trick to try to sink it’s hook into the reader until the end of the series, when they finally makes a decision- and, for me, I’m over it. I crave the strong protagonist that is still a complete person standing alone, and where romance plays more of a supporting role to the plot rather than the star of the show. I want the relationship that takes time to grow and form, like the love between Percy and Annabeth in Percy Jackson and the Olympians instead of wham, bam, thank-you ma’am, I’m ready to abandon my entire previous life for you right now (á la Twilight). I’ve never once in my day-to-day life seen a love triangle as cortisol-triggering as the one between Bella Swan, Edward Cullen, and Jacob Black, and simultaneously the only purpose driving a person forward. While the presence of a love triangle does not immediately mean a weak plot, as I actually believe The Hunger Games balances this well, I’ve seen too many SFF YA heavily rely on the love triangle to propel the story forward, like Kiera Cass’ The Selection (I guess that’s, like, a love triacontakaipentagon).
In essence, I wish fiction, specifically YA since that’s the book you wish to write, reflected more realistic relationships between lovers, or at the very least play less of a role in the progression of the story. I read YA and SFF for the world, the adventure, the action, and then the romance, but rarely is a YA SFF book actually about the plot as much as it is about the romance anymore. My advice to you is to take heed of the growing YA trend Adam Tots outlines above and instead be the start of a new trend of relatable protagonists that aren’t just as worried about getting laid as doing the task at hand in an SFF world. Cat Pictures Please was a piece we read in class that I loved, and I think would be an excellent launching point for a novel of this type. For more examples to get a sense of what I mean, Riordan’s Percy Jackson and the Olympians series, the Harry Potter books,  and Scott Westerfeld’s Leviathan series executed the type of novel I am attempting to explain, because, coming from a teenage girl, if I wanted a romance novel I’d hit up Nicholas Sparks, but when I pick up YA SFF I’m expecting more than just two people to eventually hook up while the world is ending.





1 comment:

  1. Dear Elly,
    Ohh, your blog post to author's eyes, I hope. Reducing romantic relationships -- or even infatuations -- to the all-consuming force in a character's life is something of a sand trap for readers and writers both, especially when that trap means all the edges of a character get eroded away in the sand. It's certainly possible to craft a credible relationship on the page, but it takes time, just as you note in your examples. The idea, also, that YA lit/its creators thinks that the defining experience of youth is falling in love ignores a lot of the other things that shape young people into adults, too.

    Best,
    TT

    ReplyDelete