Sunday, May 28, 2017

Nabeel Rasheed: "Dear Carmen Maria Machado: Do What You Can't"



Dear Carmen Maria Machado: Do What You Can’t 
by Nabeel Rasheed

Talking was a pain for me when I was little. Whenever I opened my mouth, I would lead an army of broken syllables to the listener’s ears. My speech therapist had a list of activities to dismantle such an army, and at the top of that list was reading. Every night before I would go to bed, I would step into the irony of reading a bedtime story to my mom. Instead of reading children stories though, my mom made me read adult classics like Moby-dick and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. Neither did these stories succeed as a panacea to my speech impediment nor as a motivator for me to read more. I felt humiliated instead. I gave up then on reading stories aloud, and I rebelled against my speech therapist by secretly telling myself stories before falling asleep every night.
I started telling myself stories in fourth grade–one of the darkest periods of my life. In fourth grade, I was told by a doctor that I would never walk again, by a teacher that I would never be intelligent, and by a role model (my dad) that I would never be anything in life. I never cried about my handicaps, but I did run away to my thoughts before going to bed every night. Here, I found a utopia, a place where anything I wanted to be and do was possible. I dreamt of a Nabeel who was skinny and good looking, who lived in big mansion with all his friends, and who was dating his fourth-grade crush–Anne Woods. To keep the utopia realistic, I created adventures for my friends and me. These included traveling through murky depths of the Mariana Trench in a submarine, walking torch-handed into a zombie-infested bunker, and building a LEGO paradise.
When I stepped out of the shoes of a day-dreamer and started working toward actual success, I began to stop telling myself stories. Ironically, a ton of negativity thrown at a child can sometimes evolve into positivity. This was the case for me. I wanted to make everyone who doubted me eat their words. In middle school, I attended spin classes for three years to lose 50 pounds, and I self-taught myself years of curriculum to jump from below-average classes to gifted-classes. In high school, I practiced tennis everyday with my older brother to secure a starting position on the varsity team, and I gave countless speeches to be named a national debate champion as a freshmen. Essentially, I went from dreaming of success to being in success, but as a result, I lost the motivation to continue telling myself stories every night.
I still missed these stories, and fortunately, I had books to fill the void. The stories I told myself were limited to my life but reading fictional books gave me the opportunity to hear the journeys of others. The first book I read was The City of Ember, and god, could I not love anything more than it. Learning about the underground city brought me into a deep, contemplative state of mind that I never wanted to leave. Their mission to save their own unique world soon became mine, and no one thing in my life was going to stop me from finishing that book. The love I had for world-building books led me to read Powerless, The Hobbit, and my all time favorite, The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson. Eventually, I ended up in Ms. Townsend’s speculative fiction course, and the books I got to read here only led me to end my Netflix membership and finally settle down to make a Goodreads account.
I want to keep reading, but seeing who I am today also compels me to never stop telling myself bedtime stories every night. Nowadays, I tell myself stories of me cooking Indian cuisine as a Michelin rated chef, performing electronic music at Lollapalooza, and doing kick flips as a professional skateboarder. These stories are not on my bucket list or even on my wish list. These are the things people told me I could never dream of doing in my life. I put them on my “do what you can’t list”–something my speech therapist would be proud of.

“Do what you can’t” – Casey Neistat



1 comment:

  1. Dear Nabeel,
    Wow, you really opened up a vein for Carmen Maria here. Thank you for your generous answer to her question.

    Your personal experience with telling yourself stories, and letting these stories act as a bridge to imagining (and creating) a different life for yourself puts the lie to the tired logic that dwelling in fiction damages a person's ability to achieve in the real world. Sometimes, we need fiction -- need it quite desperately -- to help us do what we can't, just as you say. We need to see characters constantly being pushed, being forced past their limits, to believe that this is something people CAN DO, or should do. Most importantly, to paraphrase Dickens, it can teach us to be the heroes of our own lives.

    Best,
    TT

    ReplyDelete