Sunday, May 28, 2017

Malik Roberson: "Dear Carmen Maria Machado: How I Decide What to Read"



Dear Carmen Maria Machado: How I Decide What to Read.
By Malik Roberson

            When I’m looking for something new to read outside of class, the rare few times that happens, it is almost always an adventure or nonfiction book.  Usually when I choose something with an adventure, it’s because I want the ability to feel like I am doing something that most likely would not be possible in real life.  Things like swimming with sharks, mostly because I can barely swim, or escaping burning buildings.  Whomst'd've interacted with the main character also matters a great deal since they can be crucial to the movement of the storyline.  It is also great being able to experience a totally different place through the eyes of another person, or people, while thinking about the effects that the character’s actions have in the whole scheme of things.  This allows my imagination to run free for a brief period of time and wonder how a small change in the timeline could change the entire outcome of the story for better, or for worse. The last thing I do when deciding to read a book is to look at the summary.  It gives a good idea of what will occur and helps me gauge whether or not I will be actively engaged in the reading.  Usually when I decide not to finish a book, it is because I am unable to relate to the struggles of the main character or the writing style does not engage my imagination enough.  If I cannot sympathize with the struggles of the characters I find it difficult to make it through more than a few chapters before I ditch the story.

            When I choose to read a nonfiction book I am a lot more lax about what I choose.  As long as it has to do with technology or new innovations I will most likely be interested in it.  Also, with this category, I am not limited to books, there are a plethora of magazines and online articles that can quench my thirst for knowledge. 

1 comment:

  1. Dear Malik,
    It would help Carmen Maria out a lot, I'm sure, to see some examples of books that have passed your sniff test versus those that haven't. What have you discovered about the kinds of books that really can hold your attention? When you sympathize with the characters, is there any pattern to what grabs you more or less? This is a fine start to a response, but seems much leaner on specifics than I think I would want, on the receiving end.
    Best,
    TT

    ReplyDelete