Monday, December 14, 2015

Kyle Leano: "Dear Michael Damian and Lynne Thomas: The Secret Behind SFF and Us"

Dear Michael Damian and Lynne Thomas: The Secret Behind SFF and Us
by Kyle Leano

I find that what I love about science fiction and fantasy has changed dramatically as I grew older. I used to enjoy reading stories with a lot of action and intensity, stories that included wars, spies, superpowers, magic, etc. As I grew up, I began to realize the shallowness in these stories. The stories I used to love were mostly driven by plot and I found that I could no longer understand or connect with the characters. One of the stories I read for class was The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander and I absolutely hated it. I feel like I would have enjoyed the book if I was in middle school or grade school, but the book felt very boring. The characters felt empty and undeveloped, and the story didn’t entertain me. Now, the stories I am drawn to explore very controversial and sometimes impossible problems. Stories such as The Cold Equations by Tom Godwin aim to poke at your morals and ethics and question the nature of right and wrong. With many lives at stake, there is no correct answer to Marilyn’s predicament, only the least bad of the two solutions.  This is why I find myself drawn to videogames and T.V. shows that also contain these impossible decisions. Shows such as Game of Thrones and the game The Last of Us contain decisions that make us question what we would do in their situation. I find that the type of science fiction and fantasy that we are all drawn to reflects us individually as people. I find that as a high-school student living at a residential school, I am still trying to find myself and my place in the world. I am still trying to define myself and I find myself enjoying stories where the characters experience the same issues and find out a little more about themselves throughout the story. I find that I currently enjoy the stories that have no clear ending, one that has you question the world and yourself.


I have to agree with what Hartwell’s statement about how “the golden age of science fiction is twelve.” While he talks only about science fiction, I believe that this can also apply to fantasy as well. However, I think that it is a little misleading, as I still find myself enjoying the genres, but different aspects. I find that what I enjoy reading has changed and evolved, depending on my situation and my age. Science fiction and fantasy has to tailor to my specific ideas and wants depending on my age and situation. Some stories and books may appeal to college students differently than high-school students. I have found that after moving to a residential high-school, I have found myself questioning the world, myself, and others. I have had these deep thoughts and questions that do not really have answers, or may have answers that are subjective to each person. To be completely honest, I am not sure what type of science fiction or fantasy will keep me interested and reading, but I do know that it will probably be tied to the situation I end up in and the person I turn out to be. 

1 comment:

  1. Kyle,

    It's interesting to see you write about watching characters navigate terrible choices and untenable situations and treat it almost as a kind of release in your own life. This makes sense to me in a way I wouldn't have thought of on my own. Of course young readers want to see those kinds of terrible, no-win decisions - the ones where you feel powerless no matter what -- being wrestled with. There's so little in the life of a teenager that makes you really feel like you're in control and that your choices will turn out all right.

    If you're looking for an amazing "no good answers and no way out" novel, though, may I suggest _The Traitor Baru Cormorant_? Fun fact: it's written by one of the scriptwriters for the recent videogame _Destiny_.

    Best,
    TT

    ReplyDelete