Monday, December 14, 2015

Tiger Shi: "To Michael Damian and Lynne Thomas"


Michael Damian and Lynne Thomas
What do you love about short science fiction & fantasy? What will keep you reading it once you're out of this class?”
My favorite part about reading this kind of genre fiction is that they allow me to escape. To my mind, I believe that reading short science fiction or fantasy stories give me a break from reality. It allows me to travel to a far-fetched land or a distant time that intrigues my mind without reminding it of the day I just experienced. For each piece of work that we read in this class, this has proven to be true. Each unit we begin, I am able to explore new worlds that authors previously unknown to me have created.
In our studies of science fiction, we read a large variety of books each giving a different feel to the genre. When reading the Gibson’s “Johnny Mnemonic,” I was introduced to the dark, grimy, and sometime over the top nature of the subclass of cyberpunk within science fiction. However this form of reading quickly changed when I faced the more emotionally stressful stories, e.g., Anderson’s “Kyrie” and Godwin’s “Cold Equations.” They explored ideas that I would not have expected been possible to be explored through science fiction. Throughout my life, I have always expected the genre to be more action and tech oriented like Forster’s “The Machine Stops.” However, these stories altered my previously constructed ideas about the genre and were able to understand the miniscule but prominent detail that separates hard and soft science fiction.
Following this unit, we explored the parallel genre of fiction. Although we were only able to read one short story that belonged to this genre, it (being Kij Johnson’s “26 Monkeys, Also the Abyss”) along with the two novels that we read were able to give me a new perspective on what fantasy can do. The worlds forged in fantasies can be just as diverse if not more so than those forged in science fiction. Although there does exist fiction like Tolkien’s classic novel The Hobbit that straight up go for exploration and unveiling of a high fantasy world, other stories allow for other aspects to shine through from within the medium of fantasy. In the aforementioned low fantasy short story by Johnson, the author provides a sort of “afterstory” for the may character Aimee after the event that tore her life apart. The story is less action oriented and tries to allow for both the reader AND the main character to complete Tolkien’s three key aspects of stories: Recovery, Escape, and Consolation.

Even after the ending of this class, I will most likely continue reading speculative fiction works. However, I do feel like I will have to start out independently reading short stories or novellas first. Longer novels are still a rather large commitment for me and I may not be able to follow through with them if I am not reading it for a class. From this class, I believe that I was able to learn how to appreciate speculative fiction much more than I would have without having taken this class. I have grown curious as to the absolute variety of worlds that are possible to create in writing these kinds of stories. One of the authors that I was introduced to in this course that I am most excited to experience more thoroughly is HP Lovecraft. His writing is vivid and intense which makes the reading extremely enjoyable for me personally. Overall, I have no regrets taking this course and I will definitely be able to take this genre with me on for the rest of my life.

1 comment:

  1. Tiger,
    This blog post, which is a bit like a retrospective of the course more than a discussion of what might keep you engaged with short sff, is at its most interesting when you end up talking about specific authors you want to read more of. Considering carefully what features of a text really make you sit up and take notice can give you a lot of insight into yourself as a reader -- and also gives the Thomases insight into what appetites are out there, waiting to be sated by the work they can publish.

    (Look out for the line editing for working going online, too... Some agreement errors, etc., in the first paragraph that I think another read-through could have gotten sorted out.)

    Best,
    TT

    ReplyDelete