Monday, December 14, 2015

Sam Rousser: "To _Uncanny Magazine_: From a Fan"

To Uncanny Magazine: From a Fan
By
Samuel Rousser

            The world of fandoms is, to say the least, a many-splendored wonder. From classic literature to webcomics or television, almost everyone can admit to some guilty pastime with an origin in fiction. As trips to the library begin to lose out to Netflix, e-Books and other digital entertainment, speculative fiction continues to thrive in any medium it is presented in. Being transported to another world, meeting new characters and learning the rules of this new world has an appeal that transcends any sort of human boundary, and lets us all gather together to fight over which imaginary friend is the cutest, or which make the best couple. Some say that Goku vs. Superman cannot, or should not be answered, because the universes that they live in are completely different (Though many of us have our own opinions on who’s more super). The ability to take all of these characters, these worlds or, the ideas themselves and mix whatever you want is my favorite thing about fiction.

            The reason I read so much speculative fiction isn’t because I like a particular type of story. I don’t really care if the hero wins or loses in the end, nor am I picky about their methods for reaching the end goal. All I’m interested in is taking in the world, and knowing the exact details. Stories that bore me don’t always have a stereotypical plot; they simply don’t have fun ideas. The what-if’s that drive the story are just as important as the answer. I find the most enjoyment in stories with a plot that’s not very complicated, and the driving force is the imagery of the world I’m taken to. They devil is in the details, and the easier it is for me to dream up the world that I’m being placed into, the better. Being able to constantly update and expand the world while I’m reading allows me to draw connections, insert myself, and enjoy some what-ifs of my own.

            This curiosity for new ideas is what keeps me reading. If music is food for the soul, ideas feed the imagination. I enjoy sitting back and ‘digesting’ a story, trying to piece together the various themes and tropes that came together in a new way to create something I’ve never read before. In short, I just want to be entertained. Speculative fiction is growing at a rate far higher than I could possibly take it all in, and that’s for the best. No matter how much I read or watch, there will always be a new chapter, another book or a different series to keep me going.


Samuel Rousser

1 comment:

  1. Sam,
    I love that you're in it for the fun ideas. That seems to me the purest motivation, and probably also about the hardest definition of what appeals to pin down. Different things will be fun and engaging at different times, for different characters, written in different ways. It's almost akin to saying there's a "je ne sais quoi" of imagination that a story has to offer, a world rich enough to imagine the nooks crannies of, to pass muster.

    And for the record? I'm a Marvel comics gal myself, but Superman wins against Goku, hands down.

    Best,
    TT

    ReplyDelete