Monday, December 14, 2015

Vedhik Kodavatiganti: "Dear Chuck Wendig: To Be or Not To Be Interesting"

Dear Chuck Wendig: To Be or Not To Be Interesting
By: Vedhik Kodavatiganti

            Having been exposed to manga at a young age, I’ve developed unique interests in fiction, as well as having been accustomed to aspects that are troubling to some. I guess I should start with my interests in this field. Having read the mainstream magna as they come out, such as One Piece, Naruto or Bleach, I notice that something that entices me in fiction are relatable themes such as friendship or family. All most all manga considered to be mainstream usually explores those kinds of themes, and having been immersed in that kind of culture, I have as well.

            Another aspect of fiction I enjoy is romance. I haven’t read any actual romance novels or such, but I just enjoy when there is romance in fantasy novel or manga I’m reading. The degrees to which romance is incorporated varies widely between the manga and novels I’ve read. It can be as small as a fandom romance from hints in the manga or have the majority of the plot dedicated to their relationship. An example of the first is from Fairy Tail. In this manga, there aren’t many romantic scenes involved; however Hiro Mashima drops hints that allows a fandom for a couple. In Fairy Tail, there are actually two main fandoms, a straight one, Natsu x Lucy, and a gay one Natsu x Gray. There are actually a number more and a wiki pages dedicated to the different fan-made couples as well as in depth explanations as to how it makes sense. If you’re interested or don’t believe me, check out the page; however some of the ones are actual couples (http://fairytailcouples.wikia.com/wiki/Couples). An example where romance is a much larger part of the story is in Legend of Maian. Though it’s unfinished and not as well known, this is one of my favorite manga. The entire plot basically adds to further the relationship with two people who started with a distaste for each other. The way the author works romance and action into the plot is incredibly enticing.

            When reading a story that targets you’re your fears, you’re not necessarily overcoming the fears. You’re just facing them. For example, you wouldn’t want to be placed in a supernatural horror story situation where a ghost is causing people in a class to die one by one from accidents. Reading these stories causes us to confront our fears, which some people, including myself, find thrilling; however, I wouldn’t want to be placed in the situation. These stories serve as a catalyst for us to confront our fears and feel thrill we would not normally find.

            Japan has the stereotype of being kind of weird. Exposing myself to the many forms of unconventional themes in manga numbed me to things that would normally trouble people. An example of this is No Game No Life, a light novel series with an insanely good story, but having a brother-sister relationship theme. People would generally find something like that disturbing, but I’ve become accustomed to those kinds of themes from what I’ve read.


            This isn’t to say that nothing troubles me when reading fiction. When a character makes unethical decisions or just exhibits, for lack of a more appropriate word, inconsiderate behavior. By inconsiderate, I mean the kind of behavior that we saw Jessica display in Neverwhere. Because we were meant to grow a distaste for Jessica, it wasn’t as troubling as it would normally be. I usually find this kind of behavior the most troublesome within relationships. For example, in this one manga I’d been reading the protagonist had gotten dumped by a girl he likes and eventually gets another girlfriend, who was the perfect girlfriend, but dumps her to get back together with his ex-girlfriend. I immediately stopped reading the manga. To avoid spoilers, I left out the name and kept the description as vague as possible, but this wasn’t necessarily of the speculative fiction genre. It just serves as an example of what I would find distasteful from a speculative fiction story. I find villainous characters such as Iago, or any other antagonist fine, despite the deeds they commit. Sometimes I even respect them for their novelty and their cunning personality; however, when a relationship is brought into the equation, I find it too agitating. I guess I’m just a romanticist.

1 comment:

  1. Vedhik,
    You've hit on a fundamental truth of storytelling when you say stories that confront our fears thrill us in a way that actually BEING in that situation wouldn't. There's a kind of "safety net" established in a story, the distance between page and reality, that can make what we wouldn't tolerate in reality fascinating and even edifying. I'm a little thrown in your post about the jump from discussing this to the idea of Japan being "weird" and wonder if maybe in the course of editing your writing you lost something transitional? Is there some trend in Japanese manga and SFF that toes the line of fear and fascination differently than western lit does, do you think?
    Best,
    TT

    ReplyDelete