Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Brooke Cambra: "Dear Vina: Just How I Like It"


Dear Vina: Just How I Like It
By Brooke Cambra

Endings are the both the best and worst part of a book to me because not only is the official story is ending, but also because the story might not end the way that I want it to. I’m not saying that I want the author to obey my every demand or that their ending was not good. The way that I find the ending to a story truly satisfying, is if the ending matches the rest of the story. I love so many different genres and am partial to particular themes that I choose to read because of the emotional effect the stories have on me. If a story is a horror story, then the ending should not be the same kind of ending one would find in a Nicholas Sparks novel. It’s ending should be dark and unpleasant like the rest of the story.
One of my favorite books is “Trainspotting” by Irvine Welsh because the ending of the story is exactly like the rest of the story leading up to it; scummy and full of deception and deceit. The story is an unfortunate realistic fiction about a group of Scottish boys doing heroin and suffering the consequences of drug abuse and crime and so, of course the ending of the story would involve both drug use and crime. Irving Welsh is really good at consistency in his stories both throughout specific stories and all of his books. While his stories were not based on his life directly, he wrote about the things he knew best which allowed his writing to be consistent until the very end. Welsh is as extreme and provocative in life as his characters are in his stories and is one of my favorite authors because of this.
P.S. I also like really weird and dark endings but that has less to do with the writing style and more about why my mother worries for me. I have added my favorite Irvine Welsh quotes at the end so you can really understand what I am talking about.

"We start off with high hopes, then we bottle it. We realize that we’re all going to die, without really finding out the big answers. We develop all those long-winded ideas which just interpret the reality of our lives in different ways, without really extending our body of worthwhile knowledge, about the big things, the real things. Basically, we live a short disappointing life; and then we die. We fill up our lives with shite, things like careers and relationships to delude ourselves that it isn’t all totally pointless." - Irvine Welsh
"Some people are easier to love when you don't have to be around them." - Irvine Welsh
"I'd always done a lot of sniffing glue as a kid. I was very interested in glue, and then I went to lager and speed, and I drifted into heroin because as a kid growing up everybody told me, 'don't smoke marijuana, it will kill you'." - Irvine Welsh



1 comment:

  1. Brooke,

    TRAINSPOTTING is an interesting and apt choice off a story that has an unhappy ending, but one that "fits." So I suppose the larger question, not quite answered here is, what's the strongest determining factor in what "fits" in a story? The characters? The plot? The writing style? Is there an informal formula that helps you balance these factors, or know what cancels what out?

    Best,
    TT

    ReplyDelete