Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Ryan Sorrells: "To Vina Jie-Min Prasad: A Reader's Guide to Overanalyzing Endings"


Response to Vina Jie-Min Prasad:
A Reader’s Guide to Overanalyzing Endings
by Ryan Sorrells 
 
To me, the ending of a story is its final representation. Therefore, the ending of a story should contribute to the narrative to which it belongs, finalizing the author’s ideas.
When reading a story, I tend to focus on the narrative, as opposed to individual characters. I follow the progression of a story with a focus on context. I prefer larger-scale stories, because those are the easiest to immerse myself into. When I attempt to immerse myself in a mere scene, I see the empty space around me and wonder if something more interesting surrounds me, as opposed to the narrative itself. This detail-craving mind of mine subconsciously helps me in my over-analysis.
I have seen three forms of endings: complementary, contradictory, and extraneous. The two former forms are classical favorites - purposefully acknowledging and contributing to a story’s narrative. Complementary endings remain true to themes in the story, e.g. protagonist participates in violence frequently, and dies suddenly as a result. Contradictory endings would have the same protagonist realize the futility of violence, and suddenly strive to achieve peace. Extraneous endings are unrelated to the story and are often used symbolically - seemingly slapped-together. Whatever form it takes, the ending of a story should strive to create satisfaction and appreciation – it should be the reader’s final reason to like the story and cause the reader to recognize the story as “good.”
I find great satisfaction in the show Legion (FX Networks), not because of its story, but because it had a life of its own. The show’s focus is the importance of perspective to understand humanity, and thus is awe-inspiringly confusing. It is difficult to understand, and its sheer complexity is overwhelming. The ending to season one was so incredibly abrupt and nonsensical that I burst out laughing. However, the ending remained true to Legion’s primary themes of irrationality and acuteness of perspective, and thus was enjoyable beyond the randomness.
Another ending I appreciated was the conclusion of “The Last Flight of Dr. Ain,” by James Tiptree Jr. (Alice Bradley Sheldon). Its complementary nature leaves the reader debating internally if Dr. Ain was correct in his decision to wipe out humanity, providing satisfaction in the completion of his life’s work despite the reader’s morals. Complementary endings are difficult to construct, as the endings are natural resolutions to the story without drastic change. However, antihero narratives, such as “The Last Flight of Dr. Ain,” utilize these endings to deliver the uncomfortable satisfaction of morally incorrect victory.
An excellent contradictory ending can be found in “Repent Harlequin! Said the Ticktockman” by Harlan Ellison. Despite his work to disrupt the clockwork society controlled by the Ticktockman, the Harlequin is “brainwashed” and forced to accept society in its current state on live broadcast. It is then implied he is put to death, and society continues on. He receives a small victory in the form of setting the Ticktockman back three minutes, but it seems to the reader than he has lived his life in vain. Contradictory endings are used to persuade through worst-case scenarios. They provide an example of something failing to convince the reader of a truth. I typically steer away from contradictory endings, except in the case of ridiculous stories such as “Repent Harlequin! Said the Ticktockman.”
Examples of typical extraneous endings are difficult to find. “If You Were a Dinosaur My Love” by Rachel Swirsky represents a surprise extraneous ending - a genre of stories that center around a theme, only to completely shift in topic to reveal a deeper hidden message throughout. This story misdirects the reader by conveying a somewhat lighthearted message similar to a children’s book, then turns suddenly to reveal the story’s true nature.
For me, at least, an ending does not have to fit into an established pattern to strike my interest. Rather, I find myself drawn to the relationship between a story and its end. The ending of a story can say much more when read between the lines.

1 comment:

  1. Ryan,

    This is a genuinely interesting analysis of how story structure and content interact with (and, in a sense, dictate) a story's path to conclusion. I had never thought of Dr. Ain's journey as "complementary" to the themes of the story before, but I can see why that's exactly the right description for it.

    Best,
    TT

    ReplyDelete